The Martensville Curling Club is hoping to shed some light on a shady problem.

In the past few years, the lights over the playing surface in the curling club facility have been burning out at a rapid rate. Despite being replaced as soon as possible, the lighting – or rather the lack of lighting – is an ongoing challenge, according to curling club members.

The club is looking to replace the existing light fixtures with LED lights that would be brighter, more energy-efficient and require far less maintenance; and it’s asking council to allocate funds to help cover the cost in the city-owned facility.

The total price tag for the light replacement project amounts to $9,099.88. The club is proposing that the city pay 70 per cent of the cost ($6,369.92), while the club would be responsible for the remaining 30 per cent ($2,729.96).

A resolution on the question is expected to be on the agenda at the Martensville City Council regular meeting on Tuesday, March 21.

The city’s recreation department has confirmed the need for replacement of both the fluorescent bulbs and ballast in the curling rink, according to a report tabled at a council committee of the whole meeting on Tuesday, March 14.

A letter from the curling club to the March 14 council meeting suggested replacing the existing light fixtures with LED lighting would save the club and the city a significant amount of money in future years.