This year, Fire Prevention Week runs from October 6 to October 12.
The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) has made this year’s Fire Prevention Week’s theme Not every hero wears a cape. PLAN and PRACTICE your ESCAPE! This theme focuses on education around the small but important actions community members can take to keep themselves and those around them safe.
DID YOU KNOW?
You may only have as little as two minutes to safely escape your home in the event of a fire!
Escape planning and practice can help make the most of the time you have. Check and confirm that:
- You can identify two ways out of each room, especially sleeping areas,
- All doors and windows are kept clear of clutter,
- Each person in the house knows how to call 911,
- Everyone is familiar with where to meet upon safely exiting to wait for the fire department, and
- Smoke and carbon monoxide alarms are tested monthly, with the batteries changed yearly, and the entire alarm replaced every 10 years or as needed.
When an emergency occurs, every second counts. Educating yourself on fire safety and prevention could prevent tragedy in your home.
Always remember: Not every hero wears a cape. PLAN and PRACTICE your ESCAPE!
In an emergency, call 911 immediately.