SASKATCHEWAN'S LARGEST INDEPENDENTLY-OWNED COMMUNITY NEWSPAPER



 



Fire Safety Week focuses on preventing kitchen fires

Kitchen fires are among the most common fire-related incidents

Government Relations Minister Warren Kaeding along with City of Regina Mayor Michael Fougere officially kicked off October 7 to 13 as Fire Prevention Week across Saskatchewan on Tuesday, October 9.

This year’s theme Look. Listen. Learn. Be aware – fire can happen anywhere reminds us to pay attention to areas where fires are most likely to start: bedrooms, living rooms and especially kitchens.  Across Canada, cooking equipment is the number one ignition source in all preventable house fires.

“The heat from a stove, electric frying pan or other type of cooking equipment can ignite your clothes, the food or oil you are cooking with, or nearby items on your kitchen counter or shelves,” Kaeding said.  “Look, listen and learn encourages everyone to look where fires are most likely to occur, learn how to reduce the fire risk, and to be aware so that if there is a fire, you know how to best protect yourself and your family.”

“Fire prevention should happen 365 days a year,” Fougere said.  “This life-saving topic is taught year-round by our Fire Department and this week is an important time to focus on bringing awareness and education to the matter.  I encourage everyone to take a minute to talk to your kids about fire safety and ensure you have a home escape plan in the case of a fire.  Please, be fire safe.”

In addition to adopting safe cooking practices, Government Relations Assistant Deputy Minister of Public Safety Duane McKay encouraged everyone to practice fire safety in all areas of their homes year-round.

“Every home should have a working smoke alarm,” McKay said.  “Smoke alarms should be installed in every bedroom, outside each sleeping area, and on every level of the home including the basement and be tested monthly according to manufacturer’s directions.”

“Between 2009 and 2015, cooking caused 39 per cent of the city’s structure fires, with more than $8 million in damages,” Regina Fire Chief Layne Jackson said.  “All of these were preventable.  It is critical that we practice safe cooking in the kitchen and teach our children the importance of fire safety.”

Navigation