UPDATED: Barricaded person facing several charges

The 46-year-old male suspect from yesterday’s barricaded person incident remains in Saskatoon Police Detention this morning.

Upon arriving at the scene yesterday, officers determined the suspect was inside his residence, however he continually failed to communicate in spite of numerous attempts by Police to make contact. At approximately 11:00 p.m. members of the Tactical Support Unit were able to enter the home and take the suspect into custody. The successful conclusion was reached with assistance from the Explosive Disposal Unit robot, the Canine Unit and Crisis Negotiation Team. In an effort to safely apprehend the suspect, the TSU deployed a bean bag round. The suspect was examined at the scene by Medavie Health Services and transported to hospital for treatment for a minor injury consistent with the d eployment of a bean bag round. He was then brought to SPS Detention. The suspect remains in Detention as he continues to be uncooperative in the booking process.

The Saskatoon man is charged with Mischief, Possession of a Prohibited Weapon, Possession of a Weapon Dangerous to the Public Peace (x2), and Possession of a Concealed Weapon.

The incident began at approximately 7:30 a.m. on June 13, when Saskatoon Police were called to a report of a man causing damage to a City of Saskatoon grader. The man first threw what appeared to be a simple incendiary device at the grader and then further damaged the grader with a baseball bat. The grader operator fled the scene unharmed, with the suspect also fleeing on foot. A short time later the same suspect attempted to interfere with a street sweeper which had arrived in front of the home to clear debris from the grader damage. At that time, Police officers attempted to take the man into custody, however they were unsuccessful. 

At approximately 3:00 p.m., officers determined the suspect was barricaded in his residence. It is unknown at this time if the suspect is in possession of any weapons. Currently the Tactical Support Unit, Crisis Negotiators, Canine Unit and Patrol officers arrived on scene, along with the Saskatoon Fire Department. Traffic restrictions were put in place in the area.

The initial incident remains under investigation.