Freezing temperatures made things difficult for Warman and Martensville firefighters as they battled a residential fire in the 500 block of Wilken Crescent East in Warman on Wednesday morning, January 10.
The fire started in a garage. A neighbour who noticed the flames and smoke called 911 at about 8:25 a.m..
Firefighters responded quickly and were able to evacuate a dog that was still in the house at the time the fire began. Massive flames and thick black smoke could be seen pouring out of the garage.
There were no injuries in the fire. The homeowner and one other resident had left for work before the fire started.
Martensville Fire Department was called in to assist Warman firefighters battle the blaze. They were able to bring the initial garage fire under control quickly within the first hour. However, stubborn hot spots continued to burn and thick grey smoke blanketed the immediate area.
The garage and its contents were completely destroyed in the blaze.
The power and natural gas lines to the residence were shut off. Warman RCMP officers restricted traffic in the area.
At about 10:00 a.m. the fire began to spread to a residence, but it was quickly extinguished.
Firefighters were hampered by the extreme cold, as temperatures were in the -22 degree range. A stiff breeze added to the difficulties. Regulators on firefighters’ self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBAs) tended to freeze up and ice buildup on visors made it difficult for them to see.
By 11:00 a.m. Martensville firefighters were able to leave the scene, while Warman firefighters remained to mop up hot spots.